I am doing well (I think). It is a day to day process. I have determined that I am a much better "fair weather" hiker than a "rainy day" hiker. Mentally I am stronger when the weather is good. However, on the day that I left the Smokys, it was quite a rainy day and I walked in rain from 8 AM to about 2 PM; I found myself thinking of the song "Singing in the rain, I'm just singing in the rain..." Under the protection of my trekking umbrella, I even took pictures and videos. I have not had access to a computer with a card reader so they remain on my camera but I hope whenever I can get them off my camera, they will be interesting. Everything was so newly green and literally glistened in the rain.
It is 2:20 AM and it seems I awake about that time each morning for just a little while. I suppose it's because I go to bed early. If I'm in my tent, I pray for awhile or turn on my phone and do a little on my journal. I am able to go back to sleep afterwards and wake up when it gets light outside.Warren Doyle said that hiking the Appalachian Trail is "like a job... and it is hard work." I understand what that means now. It is hard work and fairly routine. I wake up, pack up, walk, huff and puff, take a short break on occasion, gather water if I am running short, stop for about a 30 min. lunch, arrive at a location for the night, unpack, set up my tent, inflate my air mattress, lay out my sleeping bag, gather water, cook dinner, crawl in the tent and begin to relax and then fall asleep. The next morning, I repeat the process. The routine can be broken by meeting people on the trail and talking for a little while but most are serious about walking and racking up the miles because there is a destination and it is still a LONG journey. If I allow myself to think about Maine, it is too daunting. So I set small goals for myself and take it day to day. Presently, I am focusing on making it to Erwin, TN. My next goal is Damascus, VA.
I had an unplanned respite at Mother Marian Hostel. I decided to get off the trail due to the rain and dampness on Saturday afternoon and Sunday and I know it was a good decision for me. Fred and Marian are incredibly generous and friendly hosts. They have literally opened their home to hikers. From Fred's welcome as he met me and Tex former thru-hiker in 2000 from Houston, TX and now hiking part of it with a friend) under the I-26 bypass, I have felt like I am visiting old friends. Marian greeted us and handed us a fresh fruit cup; such a nice touch. Hikers don't carry fresh fruit and the strawberries and grapes tasted so good.
Nick called and reserved their private bedroom and bathroom for me and I am as comfortable here as I am in my own home. Marian prepared a wonderful spaghetti dinner the first night with VERY tasty garlic bread; Bobby, their son, cooked a delicious breakfast on Sunday morning and Fred's coffee was wonderful. Fred grilled hamburgers and hot dogs on Sunday night and we had baked beans and potato chips. My burger must have been a 3/4 lb. It was huge and I ate every bite of it. We had a wonderful dessert each night - Marian's Cookie Bar and Fred's homemade dark chocolate ice cream or homemade vanilla.
They have 4 dogs and 1 cat. I would like to take the tiny Yorkie home with me. Buttons is absolutely precious. She only weighs 6 lbs. I might also take the cat, Kitty, who is part Maine Coon. I think she weighs around 15 lbs. and she has beautiful eyes. Oscar is part chow and maybe lab and a gentle dog; he's the biggest dog. Tally is a black lab and Marian's service dog and a gentle dog. Both Tally and Buttons like to lick my legs. I can't remember the oldest dog's name but he seems to be suffering from a little senility. He will start to howl for no reason and then the others join in ... poor baby.
It's time for me to return to the VERY comfortable bed. Breakfast will be at 7:30 AM and then I should be back on the trail at Sams Gap by 9 AM. Depending on the severity of the climb out of the gap, I may try to reach a camp site about 11 miles up the trail for the night. I have to climb Big Bald and Little Bald mountains today. If I make the 11 miles then it would be a 12+ mile day to Erwin and I have a reservation at the Holiday Inn.
Nick has mailed a food box for me so I won't have to go shopping for resupply. I am a little slowed down with vasomotor rhinitis due to allergies or it may be a respiratory virus that is going around the hiking community. A rest day at the Erwin Holiday Inn will be good for me. He is also mailing me the medicine I take for it and the capsules that deal with the bad cough. He's such a loving and devoted husband and we miss each other.
Click on the Trail Journals tab above to catch up on the details and check out the photo section because I have uploaded photos from my cell phone.
Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and notes.
![]() |
| Tex enjoying a relaxing afternoon |
![]() |









We were absolutely blessed to have Prayer Walker with us for the stormy weekend. She is a woman with a kind of perfect balance between physical strength and this gentle and loving demeanor. My hope for you Prayer Walker is not to focus on Maine, but on giving all that you can each day to other hikers, feeling replenished by the beauty of all that surrounds you. If I could be given a wish, it would be to hike along beside you. Keep journaling! (((hugs))) Mother Marian
ReplyDeleteGod brings you to mind often and you are in my prayers.
Deletethank you so very much
Deleteglad to hear you're doing well and that you got to experience the wonderful trail angels at Mother Marian's!! Blessings on your adventure!! Chuck and Tigger
ReplyDeleteTigger and Chuck -- one of the last things Chuck said to me was remember Mother Marian's Hostel between Hot Springs and Irwin. When the rain began on Saturday, Mother Marian's kept coming into my mind until I finally acted upon it. Laughing Heart Hostel and Mother Marian Hostel were such blessings on my journey. Thank you and God Bless you.
DeleteI miss you PrayerWalker. However, I am reminded of you each day as I read the prayer you wrote for us with the Sharpie marker on the Bathroom wall! I would absolutely love to hear how you are doing. Much Love~
ReplyDelete