Friday, August 10, 2012

The Seed

Amicalola Falls from the top

Trail head

We're off .....
For Valentines Day 2012 we went to Amicalola Falls State Park to volunteer at Len Foote Hike Inn. It was our third hike but our first time to serve as volunteers in the kitchen/dining room. After dinner, Wade Chandler, Lodge Manager, gave a slide presentation on his thru-hike of the AT in 2008. It was very interesting and at the time I thought it would be fun if I were younger. He didn't show any pictures of "older" hikers. Looking back, I think the seed to hike the Appalachian Trail was planted that night.

It started raining around supper time and the temperature dropped. When we awoke the next morning, it was a cold and snowy and this little bird was having breakfast.



 After finishing our breakfast duties, we headed for Springer Mountain.  I didn't take my camera cause it was so wet.  Ice on tree branches was dripping and hunks of ice kept falling from the branches. We were only out about 2 hours; it was slippery and we didn't want to fall.
 But the icicles on the branches were beautiful; they were rectangular shaped around the branches.  It looked like a fairy land in places.

No comments:

Post a Comment